[ExtractStream] NFS issues

sharkey@a... sharkey at a...
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 01:03:37 -0400

> The mount command works, and I can do an ls on it to see it is empty. Then I
> issue a mkdir command to test if it is truly RW, and it fails every time:
> bash-2.02# mkdir a
> mkdir: cannot make directory `a': Read-only file system
> So, Why does this happen? I have triple-checked the SUSE box to make sure
> that the /etc/exports file is correct, and does in fact make that dir
> specified is in fact RW, and it is.
> Anyone have any idea why this is??

I saw this happen on one server when we switched from the user-space
nfs daemon to the kernel server. We had to fix it ASAP, so we just
switched back to the user-space server an all was well again, so
I never discovered the root of the problem.

In general, knfsd is a lot more anal about permission checking.

Check /var/log/* on your server for more clues.

Eric