[ExtractStream] NFS issues

sharkey@a... sharkey at a...
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 10:18:51 -0400

> What should I look at next?

/var/log/*

Seriously. cd /var/log, ls -latr, to see recently modifed files, mount
from the tivo and try (and fail) to write to a file, ls -latr again and
see which files have been modied. Read the log messages. They'll
likely give you an idea of what the problem is.

> I saw the post from another offering help about
> the user space nfs daemon, but that promptly went right over my head

A daemon is a program that runs in the backgrounda and (frequently)
listens to the network and answers requests for information from other
programs.

There are two NFS daemons available for linux. The original one (user-space)
is a separate program and you should be able to see it running in the process
table:

nurock% ps uax | grep nfs
root 468 0.1 0.3 2980 936 ? S Jun20 7:01 /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd
sharkey 5635 0.0 0.2 1336 512 pts/12 S 23:11 0:00 grep nfs
nurock%

That will at least you know if you're running the user-space server.

The newer daemon is actually integrated into the Linux kernel itself.
Under certain conditions, the kernel daemon is faster than the user
space (non-kernel) daemon, but for most home users you're not likely
to see much of a difference. None whatsoever from the Tivo.

I don't know how Suse configures itself. Under Debian, you can choose
which server to use. There's a package called nfs-kernel-server and
another called nfs-user-server and you can install either one, but not
both.

You should ask someone more familiar with Suse how to choose which server
to run.

Eric