My dangerous idea.

The Nonesuch nonesuch773 at y...
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 06:03:57 -0000

My current dangerous idea is to buy an old-model TiVo, add TiVoNet,
then ship the box off to a distant friend who A) gets a a lot of
cable channels I cannot receive and B) has cablemodem access. Set it
up to record shows and dump them (with simple compression) back over
the 'net to me.

With such a setup, I can get shows that are on BBCA (not offered
here) and rare shows found on his local PBS affiliate, etc.

And just think of the fun I can have when TiVo becomes available in
the UK, Japan, etc- instead of pen pals, we'll trade the ability to
schedule television programs remotely. I'll give you access to
capture on my network if you give me access to one on yours :-)