[ExtractStream] Digest Number 18

Darren Suprina dsuprina at g...
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 22:33:29 -0400

Good evening, folks -

ship TiVo files between users, I have a request, and
a suggestion.

My request is that someone briefly fill in those of
us who are newbes to the wonderful world of TiVo --
with specific regard to what can actually be done
when it comes to "harvesting" content from the
device and pushing data back into the system. From
all that I've gleaned from the various news groups
and web sites with content up on the subject, I
can extract a file and ship it out to an offboard
system via Ethernet -- given a TiVoNet board. I'm
looking forward to opening up the unit I just
purchased for experimentation and have a go at it.
(The wife wouldn't let me open up the household
unit ;-) It would also be nice if someone could
chime in and state definitively what can be done
as far as stuffing content onto TiVo disks. Is
it possible, for example, to take a file from one
TiVo and place it on the drive of another and have
it recognized? Everything I've read so far seems
to suggest that playing out through the TiVo is
possible, but only by using a non-TiVo CODEC
loaded into the device's OS. That's cool, but it
would be really nice were the process of playing
"alien" sourced content were somewhat more
integrated with the basic device.

My suggestion has to do with this email group.
If possible, can it be configured to append a
URL (or two) to the relevant FAQs. I don't mean
the "this is what a TiVo is" or "this is how you
upgrade a TiVo" FAQs which are well replicated,
but rather those having specifically to do with
file extraction (and loading). Doing so would
save everyone's time in not having to read
messages like this...

Thanx -

-drs-