[ExtractStream] Re: My dangerous idea.

Chuck Moss cm123 at b...
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 15:16:05 -0400

[snip]

> > such a law needs to be viewed with considerable reservations. In
> > particular the DMCA is a police state law for which I have nothing
> > but contempt.
>
> It's more of a coporate state law, but, I suppose that's a fine line.
>
> > I fully expect it to be repudiated by the Supreme Court
> > when it reaches there but its path so far has been disquieting.
>
> Agreed. This may take some time.

Hopefully this will come to a head soon. The Electronic Freedom
Foundation (EFF) is challenging the constitutionality of the DMCA in the
Felten Case. Professor Felten was threatened from the RIAA and SDMI to
keep him from presenting a paper on digital watermarking.

More information can be found on the following links:
http://www.eff.org/sc/felten/20010409_riaa_sdmi_letter.html
http://www.eff.org/sc/felten/
http://www.eff.org/sc/felten/20010606_eff_complaint.html
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/sip/sdmi/

The latest EFF newsletter appealed for donation to support this case.

You may become a member of EFF or donate at:
http://www.eff.org/support/

Chuck

[snip]