Extract Stream broken inquiry

gsingle@w... gsingle at w...
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 19:40:11 -0000

David,

Hope this helps....

I have a UK Tivo with 1.5.2/TivoNet and I have the same problem with
using ExactStream to create separate Video and Audio Streams directly
from the Tivo.

However, I am one of the lucky individuals who has an original one
drive UK Tivo and while I made an mfs backup before I added a second
drive, I have never restored my Tivo.

I have had some sucess with creating a usable video file as follows:

1. Use the httpd.tcl web server supplied with ExtractStream0.2.
2. You will need to edit this httpd.tcl for a UK?/1.5.2? tivo or it
will just produce a blank page when the "Now showing" link is
clicked. The changes you need to make is as follows:
a. Find the procedure "action_NowShowing"
b. About four lines into this procedure you will see the line:
ForeachMfsFile fsid name type "/Recording/NowShowing" "" {
Change this to read:
ForeachMfsFile fsid name type "/Recording/Complete" "" {
2. Transfer the updated httpd.tcl to your Tivo, taking care not to
cause a problem with end of line <CR> characters - i.e. do a ascii
FTP file transfer.
3. Start httpd.tcl on th tivo in background with "./httpd.tcl &"
4. Point your web browser at your Tivo's IP number and click the now
showing link - it should produce a now showing list. DON'T CLICK ON
THE LINKS FOR EACH PROGRAMME YET.
5. When you click on one of the links the Tivo will begin streaming
the raw (audio+video) stream to your web browser which is likely to
cause your web browser to croak. You need to do something like right
click on the link and choose "save as...". Take care though, IE has
a habit of adding an HTML header to whatever it saves - make sure its
a text or raw download. I use a download manager - getright - to do
this.
6. You should now have a ***large*** raw stream file on your PC and
need to break this into its Audio + Video components. The only was I
have suceeded in doing this is to use ConvertStream on a linux PC. I
used vmware to create virtual linux PC under windows so I didn't need
to copy the file to another machine or dual boot - but any linux
machine will do. EVERY OTHER WAY I HAVE TRIED TO DEMUX THE RAW STREAM
HAS FAILED - including ExtractStream on the Tivo and TivoApp.exe
under Windows.
7. All being well you now have two separate files and they should
play in Windows Media Player (if you have the right codecs).

Anyone do better -or- explain why by both ExtractStream and TivoApp
won't demux Audio and Video from UK 1.5.2 Tivo's?

Graham