[ExtractStream] Extracting to disk // Speed?

Dale Reed daler at n...
Wed, 03 Oct 2001 12:33:48 -0700

David Ranch wrote:

> > If you are getting slow tivonet speeds, try a rolled cable between
> the two
> > machines. Some people have noted swapping out the hub or switch
> connecting
> > computers can help as well. I just use an old 10MB 8-port hub that has
> > a connection to my switch downstairs, my tivo, and my PC.
>
> I found that for me, switching the 10Mb NIC back to HALF duplex via
> the NIC's setup software fixed my issue.

My old hub is not a switch so half duplex is the only option. Maybe
thats why I never had a speed issue. :)

> > has got to be close to the same speed? Plus I just batch mine over night
> > and
> > when I wake up, its all there for me. The thought of constantly
> pulling my
> > tivo apart doesn't set to well with me. :(
>
> Could you tell us how you are batching this? Perl?

One of many projects I'm working on. It just creates a shell script
on the tivo side that launches ExtractStream with the respective options
to send the raw tystreams to my PC. Then I process them on the PC in
the same fashion.

My goal is to have something like the tivo webserver have a "send to pc"
button on the now showing screen or program details that will add the
show to the batch file automatically. Then just need to scedule something
to check for and execute the batch file at some interval.

Dale