[ExtractStream] Re: Status of Windows tools ==> Linux Solutions

Kyle Davenport kdd at o...
Sun, 07 Oct 2001 15:48:37 -0500

"Barcinski, Andy" wrote:

> > I think getting something like the ConvertStream+NetMplex marriage
> > where the seperation and re-attach happens like it does on
> > the tivo is
> > going to produce the synced audio and video that we are all
> > looking for.
>
> I heartily agree. I suspect that what we have been talking about
> (audio and
> video not syncing) will be solved by getting the raw tystream (as
> that's
> what TiVo uses to play the stuff -- and it's ALWAYS in sync) and
> converting
> it to MPEG2/MP2 streams.
>
> It works on the TiVo. Get it working like it does on the TiVo, and we
>
> should be fine.
>
> It seems to be glossed over here -- do people who use ExtractStream
> -s, then
> ConvertStream (on a unix box) have sync problems? I would do that,
> but
> unfortunately, my server is only a p200, and painfully slow. Like
> many
> other people, I suspect, my powerhouse box is win32.

I'm new to TiVo hacking. Just installed 80Gb Seagate U6 drive and
TiVoNet. After fighting with lost connection to TiVo for a week
(daisy-chaining a switch and hub messed me up) I have been fighting to
extract mpg's to my linux server for the last week. What a pain!

1. ExtractStream package (.2) didn't work for me.
2. esdirect/mime-type/netcat/netmplex wouldn't work. I tried it all
the various ways of setting up streaming, and it would just hang.
3. CVS version of ExtractStream (.3) works, but the httpd.tcl has no
recorded shows
4. ConvertStream doesn't work for me (I'm at TiVo 2.0.1).
5. Finally! got nfs mounting to work. A little documentation would have
been nice. It's for mounting remote server's filesystems on the TiVo.
6. So I just set up ExtractStream to go to my nfs mount:

# TiVo Hack!
[ -x /tivo-bin/hostname ] && /tivo-bin/hostname quicktivo
/bin/bash </dev/ttyS3 >& /dev/ttyS3 &
if insmod -f /lib/modules/8390.o; then
insmod -f /lib/modules/tivone.o
sync; sleep 2
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.4 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
route.tivo add default gw 192.168.1.1
[ -x /sbin/tnlited ] && tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
[ -x /tivo-bin/tivoftpd ] && /tivo-bin/tivoftpd &
[ -x /hack/bin/httpd-tt.tcl ] && /hack/bin/httpd-tt.tcl &
# For ExtractStream
insmod -f /lib/modules/nfs-2.0.1.o
mount -t nfs 192.168.1.1:/var/tmp /mnt -o soft,bg
export AUDIO_OUT=/mnt/tivo.m2a
export VIDEO_OUT=/mnt/tivo.m2v
fi

7. I compiled TiVo's mplex for x86, and it ran, but lost the video
stream.
8. A ha! A clue! mjpeg-tools has a working mplex for linux:
mplex -m2 -b 200 -o movie.mpg movie.m2a movie.m2v
9. my normal players on linux (dual p2-375) have trouble playing it
(dvdview, xmovie, vlc) but there is no audio sync problem.
10. "mpeg2divx -a 192 movie.mpg -o movie.avi" works, but is even more
unplayable with aviplay. lost frames and motion artifacts. It is
however 1/10th the size! Optimum settings anyone?
11. move to 1.2 GHz athlon/Win98SE - both files play great. I use the
Sigma Hollywood Netstream2000 mpg2 decoder and bsplay divx player. Full
screen mpg2 looks better than on my hdtv. Even the highly compressed
mpg4 is ok - better than a vcd.

The netstream2000 was made to play network streaming mpg2's. I eagerly
look forward to that functionality on my TiVo.