[ExtractStream] Re: Status of Windows tools ==> Linux Solutions

Dale Reed daler at n...
Mon, 08 Oct 2001 09:49:43 -0700

Kyle Davenport wrote:

> I'm new to TiVo hacking. Just installed 80Gb Seagate U6 drive and
> TiVoNet. After fighting with lost connection to TiVo for a week
> (daisy-chaining a switch and hub messed me up) I have been fighting to
> extract mpg's to my linux server for the last week. What a pain!

Its the joy and fun of all this. :)

> 1. ExtractStream package (.2) didn't work for me.

.2 will not work with a tivomad expanded system (which I'm assuming
you used to expand to 80gb).

> 3. CVS version of ExtractStream (.3) works, but the httpd.tcl has no
> recorded shows

There are lots of them. I still use the really old httpd.tcl on port
81 to get the show ids. I run the sufr tivoweb on 80 for the cool
features, though. :)

> 4. ConvertStream doesn't work for me (I'm at TiVo 2.0.1).

Converstream should work fine with 2.0.1. I re-worked some of the
code and pulled some other code from Extractstream. If you'd like
a copy that works with 2.0, let me know.

> 5. Finally! got nfs mounting to work. A little documentation would have
> been nice. It's for mounting remote server's filesystems on the TiVo.

nfs is REALLY slow. I couldn't get over 300K/sec with it. I still use
the single netcat connection and pull almost 950K/sec with netcat.
The nice thing about nfs is that you don't have to set any listeners
up on the PC side, though. :)

> 11. move to 1.2 GHz athlon/Win98SE - both files play great. I use the
> Sigma Hollywood Netstream2000 mpg2 decoder and bsplay divx player. Full
> screen mpg2 looks better than on my hdtv. Even the highly compressed
> mpg4 is ok - better than a vcd.

I use my dxr2 card to watch the mpg back on my tv and its comprable to
what the tivo looks like when playing it natively.

> The netstream2000 was made to play network streaming mpg2's. I eagerly
> look forward to that functionality on my TiVo.

Is it hardware or software?

Dale