[ExtractStream] Hello

Barcinski, Andy andy at a...
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 13:07:37 -0500

Here's what I do. Subsequent questions will be referred to this post, so
flag it. :-)

1) Use ExtractStream to create raw video and audio. Export via nfs to linux
fileserver. I think we all know how to do this. If not, it's a FAQ :-).
2) Open video file in DVD2AVI (google search for download)
3) Save d2v project. Wait for it to save. Maybe do step (5) at the same
time.
4) Create vfapi avi using VFAPI-conv (frameserve) (google search for
download)
5) Convert mpeg2 audio stream to wav using winamp or whatever is handy.
6) Open vfapi avi in nandub(virtualdub hack), add wav audio
7) Adjust timing of audio (ugh) to match as best as possible.
8) Crop out commercials.
9) Adjust filters to make the video look better. If anyone is interested in
filterchains, please email me and I will let you know what I'm currently
using.
10) Encode to mp4v2 or divx, depending on need.
11) Wait forever[1] for filters to render and mpeg to encode.

About vfapi, dvd2avi, and frameserving:
http://www.doom9.org/mpg/vfapi_reader_codec.htm

Nandub download:
www.nandub.org
Nandub is a hack of the open source program virtualdub. Nandub has much
more options for encoding/vbr/etc. If you are going to be encoding (which
you are) use nandub.

About nandub:
http://www.doom9.org/nandub.htm

Virtualdub download:
www.virtualdub.org

I'd suggest checking out the doom 9 forums/faq, or arstechnica a/v forum/faq
for detailed information on this.

www.doom9.org
http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=frm&s=50009562&f=67909965

Any questions, please let me know. When I began this, the
encoding/filtering process was about a week long research project.
Hopefully I can pass on some of the wisdom of my research here.

I'm still trying to get filesize under control, by using DivX ;)/VBR/2 pass
encoding. Unfortunately, this just about doubles the render time because
the filters must be applied to both passes in order to get accurate
statistics for the VBR. When I get some time to look at it, I'll let you
know.

Andy

[1] Note that I use a 1.4 GHz Thunderbird with 512 Megs of RAM for encoding.
My render times are generally 3-4 hours per half hour of video. This is due
to the filtering I do. The end results are very much worth it, but be
warned, that those of you with slower/ or less RAM loaded machines may be
waiting a long time. Not trying to brag, but rather, to warn you. When I
don't use filters, encoding is just a hair under real-time, so you can make
the trade-off yourself. Try at least one with some smoother filters,
though, esp. if you use Medium quality on the tivo.