[ExtractStream] Re: Status of Windows tools ==> Linux Solutions

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at c...
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 01:56:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Dale Reed wrote:

> Kyle Davenport wrote:
>
> > I'm new to TiVo hacking. Just installed 80Gb Seagate U6 drive and
> > TiVoNet. After fighting with lost connection to TiVo for a week
> > (daisy-chaining a switch and hub messed me up) I have been fighting to
> > extract mpg's to my linux server for the last week. What a pain!
>

> Its the joy and fun of all this. :)
>
> > 1. ExtractStream package (.2) didn't work for me.
>

> .2 will not work with a tivomad expanded system (which I'm assuming
> you used to expand to 80gb).

Hmmm. Would you know of a way to increase the size of the tivo /
partitons, or create a /usr/local (that won't get blown away in an
upgrade). Of course extracting the streams is important too. I'm using
2.0.1 sortware.

> > 3. CVS version of ExtractStream (.3) works, but the httpd.tcl has no
> > recorded shows
>

> There are lots of them. I still use the really old httpd.tcl on port
> 81 to get the show ids. I run the sufr tivoweb on 80 for the cool
> features, though. :)

Cool features? I'm pretty new to this too.

> > 4. ConvertStream doesn't work for me (I'm at TiVo 2.0.1).
>

> Converstream should work fine with 2.0.1. I re-worked some of the
> code and pulled some other code from Extractstream. If you'd like
> a copy that works with 2.0, let me know.
>
> > 5. Finally! got nfs mounting to work. A little documentation would have
> > been nice. It's for mounting remote server's filesystems on the TiVo.
>

> nfs is REALLY slow. I couldn't get over 300K/sec with it. I still use
> the single netcat connection and pull almost 950K/sec with netcat.
> The nice thing about nfs is that you don't have to set any listeners
> up on the PC side, though. :)

While I haven't benchmarked the TiVo version of nfs, you can usually
improve nfs speeds by passing options in the mount command or /etc/fstab.
Try this line in your fstab and see if things imporve drastically:

linuxhost:/mnt/path /nfs nfs noauto,rw,soft,intr,wsize=8192,rsize=8192 0 0

If I could extract a stream I'd tell you how fast my nfs is... (hint- need
hint!)

> > 11. move to 1.2 GHz athlon/Win98SE - both files play great. I use the
> > Sigma Hollywood Netstream2000 mpg2 decoder and bsplay divx player. Full
> > screen mpg2 looks better than on my hdtv. Even the highly compressed
> > mpg4 is ok - better than a vcd.

I'm a hardcore linux user. I'd hate to _have_ to use windows for anything
beyond allowing light and air into my home...

--
Chris Kloiber