[ExtractStream] Re: Status of Windows tools ==> Linux Solutions

Dale Reed daler at n...
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 12:52:02 -0700

Chris Kloiber wrote:

> > .2 will not work with a tivomad expanded system (which I'm assuming
> > you used to expand to 80gb).
>
> Hmmm. Would you know of a way to increase the size of the tivo /
> partitons, or create a /usr/local (that won't get blown away in an
> upgrade). Of course extracting the streams is important too. I'm using
> 2.0.1 sortware.

MFS tools might let you do it. There is also some docs on how to
recreate your tivo partitions and such from scratch using those.
Out of curiosity why do you want to do that?

> > There are lots of them. I still use the really old httpd.tcl on port
> > 81 to get the show ids. I run the sufr tivoweb on 80 for the cool
> > features, though. :)
>
> Cool features? I'm pretty new to this too.

Check out http://pvrhack.sonnik.com/tivo/ and the tivo web project
link. The latest web interface allows you to not only see stuff
like now showing, but also see your to do list, suggestions, channel
guide and more. You can even add programs to your to do list and
season pass (along with the season pass manager), remove them, etc.
I can VPN into my firewall at home and from anywhere on the internet
add that program that starts in five minutes that I forgot to tell
my tivo to record. Thats by far my favorite feature. :)

> While I haven't benchmarked the TiVo version of nfs, you can usually
> improve nfs speeds by passing options in the mount command or /etc/fstab.
> Try this line in your fstab and see if things imporve drastically:
>
> linuxhost:/mnt/path /nfs nfs noauto,rw,soft,intr,wsize=8192,rsize=8192 0 0

Yeah there is lots of tweaking you can do.

> If I could extract a stream I'd tell you how fast my nfs is... (hint- need
> hint!)

See the extractstream documentation on how to get the fsids and extract.
Its actually documented pretty decently.

> I'm a hardcore linux user. I'd hate to _have_ to use windows for anything
> beyond allowing light and air into my home...

I like both. :) Once I get things cleaned up on the windows side, I'll get
it compiled and working on my linux box as well. My windows machine
is a dual P3 750 with 1.5GB of RAM and 3x36GB U180 LVD SCSI. It rocks
for processing the large video streams from one spindle to the other.
My linux box if a PPro with 144mb of RAM. Its a little slow. :(

Dale