Anyone Debugging ExtractStream?

cerevant@y... cerevant at y...
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 23:21:35 -0000

I'm among the have-nots of Extract Stream users - ie: I cannot get a
audio-sync'd mpeg out of it. I've had random partial success, but
for the most part I get varied audio sync failure (not consistent
enough to use a simple offset) when things go well. When things go
poorly (especially using ConvertStream or tympeg) the result has
serious audio faults (pops & screeches, minutes of offset) and crash
Elcard MPEG player/TMPGEnc. I've used netcat, netmplex and tympeg to
transfer. I've tried numerous magic combinations of different
software: TMPGEnc, Virtual Dub, vfapi, Elecard, PowerDVD, FreeAmp,
Goldwave, dvd2avi...I've come to the conclusion that garbage in =>
garbage out.

My best guess is that some tyStreams are more problematic than
others - the more bogus sequence numbers, the worse the result. My
question is, does anyone want some bad tyStreams to look at? I've
got 30 and 60 minute programs at different qualities that have all
kinds of problems (dozens of bad seq's), and I'd be glad to make them
available to anyone working on this code.

I am a coder, but I know nothing about these data formats - if
someone has something mindless that they just don't have the man-
hours to work on, I'd be glad to take a look at it. I'd rather help
someone fix ExtractStream/ConvertStream than try yet another post-
processing tool chain...

Thanks,
Jeff