[ExtractStream] Re: Status of Windows tools ==> Linux Solutions

Kyle Davenport kdd at o...
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 01:00:48 -0500

> > > 3. CVS version of ExtractStream (.3) works, but the httpd.tcl has
> no
> > > recorded shows
> >

> > There are lots of them. I still use the really old httpd.tcl on
> port
> > 81 to get the show ids. I run the sufr tivoweb on 80 for the cool
> > features, though. :)
>
> Cool features? I'm pretty new to this too.

Very cool. http://tivo.lightn.org. and yes, you can set up a recording
remotely. These are the rules I use to get thru my linux 2.4 firewall:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p TCP -d [ext-ip] --dport 8080 -j
DNAT --to [int-ip] :80
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -p TCP -d [ext-ip] --dport 8080 -j
ACCEPT

which says, "if a packet hits the firewall's port 8080 forward to this
host on the internal network at port 80." Of course I can't leave that
open because there's no authentication on the web-server now.

> If I could extract a stream I'd tell you how fast my nfs is... (hint-
need hint!)

Did you try what I posted? Shocked and amazed - the netcat (nc) just
now worked for me. I don't know what the deal was before - a blocked
port maybe? It was about 3x faster than nfs or 600Kps.

> > > 11. move to 1.2 GHz athlon/Win98SE - both files play great. I
> use the
> > > Sigma Hollywood Netstream2000 mpg2 decoder and bsplay divx
> player. Full
> > > screen mpg2 looks better than on my hdtv. Even the highly
> compressed
> > > mpg4 is ok - better than a vcd.
>
> I'm a hardcore linux user. I'd hate to _have_ to use windows for
> anything
> beyond allowing light and air into my home...

no joke. My athlon dual boots and I'll let you know how it goes under
linux - Sigma Designs has linux drivers for the Netstream2000.