[ExtractStream] Re: Status of Windows tools ==> Linux Solutions

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at c...
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 12:46:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Kyle Davenport wrote:

> Very cool. http://tivo.lightn.org. and yes, you can set up a recording
> remotely. These are the rules I use to get thru my linux 2.4 firewall:
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p TCP -d [ext-ip] --dport 8080 -j
> DNAT --to [int-ip] :80
> iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -p TCP -d [ext-ip] --dport 8080 -j
> ACCEPT
>
> which says, "if a packet hits the firewall's port 8080 forward to this
> host on the internal network at port 80." Of course I can't leave that
> open because there's no authentication on the web-server now.

I may have an answer for this later today- a guy at work knows how to get
Apache on linux to authenticate users and then proxy for another web
server. (Originally this was done to "web-firewall" IIS boxes. Only
authenticated users could send requests to the IIS box, after nasty-bad
Code-(insert color here) worms were filtered out.) It could be adapted as
a TiVo frontend.

> > If I could extract a stream I'd tell you how fast my nfs is... (hint-
> need hint!)
>
> Did you try what I posted? Shocked and amazed - the netcat (nc) just
> now worked for me. I don't know what the deal was before - a blocked
> port maybe? It was about 3x faster than nfs or 600Kps.

Haven't found a working link to the netcat source/binary yet. :(
Admittedly I haven't had a chance to dig very deep yet.

--
Chris Kloiber