Splitstream and constant sequence issues

cerevant@y... cerevant at y...
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:01:45 -0000

Like I said, I picked the wrong chunk to analyze :)

> It would be really interesting to see what chunk 4 looks like.

Actually, when I do the second run, 3 gets thrown out, but 4 is
kept. I checked, and the first record of 4 has a video sequence
number consistent with 2. End of story :)

> In your other post, you wrote:
>
> > Stream 2:
> > 1st convert sequential failure
> > - Audio 22k, Video 284k
> > 2nd convert *also* had a sequential failure.
> > - Audio 6.8M, Video 125.7M
> > 3rd convert again, seq fail
> > - Audio 19k, Video 259k
> > 4th starts with missing first frames & audio failure, then seq
fail.
> > - Audio 6.8M, Video 125.5M
>
> Are the short pieces of audio long enough for you to recognize them?
> do they actually belong to the program? If you concatinate the audio
> files, do you get a continous sounding file?

Yes. The first was too short to really tell, the second was fine -
the correct show and the correct part of the show. I didn't check
sync, but the clips were about 10 seconds different in size. Through
the 4th iteration, everything seems reasonable - my guess is that we
just have a repeating variation of the problem I had in the first
stream: a break in one sequence and not the other.

> As I said in the previous post, I think reseting the sequence is a
> really bad idea. It recovered because there was an extra chunk. Of
> course, you're welcome to compile your version of splitstream with
any
> modifications that'll make it work for you.

*grin* I know when what I'm doing is crap - that's why I didn't post
it as a "fix" :) I always try/suggest the simplest solution as a way
to make myself understand the problem better...and sometimes the
simplest solution actually is the best one...

> But do you get crap in the stream (bad video blocks, audio
screeches,
> etc)?

Of course :)

> I know I've got more questions than answers, but I'd like to get to
> the bottom of this.

I'm just glad to see some signs of life on this board! To this point
it has been about working around the problems instead of fixing
them...its good to see some progress on these things, and I'm glad to
chip in where I can.

I think I'm long overdue for a "you guys rock" to you (splitstream) &
Charlie (Display Stream) - without you I'd be completely in the dark
and frustrated because I couldn't get anything useful off my TiVo.

One thing I've been meaning to ask, and keep forgetting to: Is there
a reason you throw out entire chunks, instead of just bad records?
If there was typically equal amounts of audio & video in a chunk, I
could see how this would improve sync. However, it looks like one
stream can break while the other keeps going.

Thanks again for your efforts!

Jeff