Splitstream and constant sequence issues

joe666boxer@y... joe666boxer at y...
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 02:34:59 -0000

> One thing I've been meaning to ask, and keep forgetting to: Is there
> a reason you throw out entire chunks, instead of just bad records?
> If there was typically equal amounts of audio & video in a chunk, I
> could see how this would improve sync. However, it looks like one
> stream can break while the other keeps going.

That's an interesting question. There are a couple of things about
splitstream that are really different from extractstream:

1) Audio sequence matching. I think older streams didn't have audio
sequencing, so extractstream didn't check the audio sequences. It only
checked the audio header (FFFDA8) at 0x360 intervals.

2) When a video sequence mismatch occured, extractstream would stop
the output (both video and audio) for that chunk. this caused my audio
streams to be full of crap, because unchecked audio streams before the
video mismatched didn't belong to the same stream. For all my test
streams, the first record mismatched always indicated that the whole
chunk was bad. In other words, at least for my streams, a chunk either
really belonged to the stream or it didn't, just like your first
example. So I decided to throw out the chunk on a mismatch. This also
avoids accidental matches to a bad stream. It's a lot less likely that
both audio and video sequence match on a bad chunk. It wouldn't be
hard to relax that and output anything that matches. I'd like to try
that before I decide if it makes sense (see my email).

Thanks
Joe