[ExtractStream] Problems with ExtractStream / SplitStream

David Ranch dranch at t...
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:40:42 -0700

Are you trying to play the Tivo media or extract it via
NFS or something like that? If you are trying to extract,
you aren't setting the correct Environment variables.

Please read the ExtractStream HOWTO:

http://www.9thtee.com/extractstream.html

Anyway, this is what I use at home (I'll put this up on
http://rocko.csuchico.edu/~dranch/tivo soon enough)

If anyone could add to this list or give the correct command
sequence to use SplitStream (haven't used it yet), please
post it to the list and I'll start putting together an
Extracting faq.

1. TELNET to the Tivo (assumes a correctly networked Tivo)

2. Fix the PATH and add some aliases

alias w='cat /proc/loadavg'
alias lsmod='cat /proc/modules'
export PATH=$PATH:/tivo-bin:/hack/bin

3. Start up the old Tivo HTTP server to get FSIDs
(I can't easily find the FSIDs in the new and much
nicer Tivo HTTP server)

/hack/es-0.2/httpd.tcl >/dev/null &;

4. Start up the FTP server (if required)

cd /sbin
/sbin/tivoftpd &

5. Load up the NFS kernel module

insmod -f /sbin/nfs-2.0.1.o

6. Mount my Linux server onto the Tivo

bash-2.02# mount -t nfs 192.168.0.3:/mnt/hdc2/tivo/MEDIA /var/mnt/nfs

7. Set the environment vars to extract video

bash-2.02# export VIDEO_OUT=/var/mnt/nfs/homerpalooza2.m2v
bash-2.02# export AUDIO_OUT=/var/mnt/nfs/homerpalooza2.m2a

8. Extract the video over NFS

ExtractStream 53476 53477 53478

Other useful commands

CPU Load: cat /proc/loadavg