Getting FSID's... (was: Problems with ExtractStream...

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 07:43:12 -0700 (PDT)

--- David Ranch <dranch@t...> wrote:

> Hmmm.. NFS has been pretty fast for me but I'll try a comparison
> to see the difference.

NFS is a whole lot easier to set up as well -- I fought with netcat
for quite some time before I got NFS to work, and it seems to work
easily...

Now I'm working on getting the mpeg extraction to burn to SVCD --
once I get that down pat, I'll probably play with netcat some more...

> Also.. could someone supply a quick and dirty guide for
> using SplitStream as I don't really know how to use it.
> From what I can gather,
>
> 1. You use ExtractStream with the -s option
> 2. You then use SplitStream on a Linux machine to
> cut the m2v and m2a files
> True?

SplitStream works under Winders box - but otherwise you have that
correct.

> Ps. Are you guys also still using the old httpd service
> to get the FSIDs for various Tivo media or are you
> using something different?

Yes - the new "TivoWeb" doesn't show FSID's that I can find - that's
the only reason why I don't run it.

However, I've found a "bug" in the old httpd proggie WRT FSID's --
anything that I'm watching "live" that I hit the record button to
save from the live buffer to the save buffer - *none* of the info is
displayed. The httpd knows *something* is there, but there's
absolutely no info - title, anything.

I thought at first that I'd screwed something up -- the first stream
I wanted to save (for my own personal, nefarious, political
reasons...) I'd changed the header info thru the TivoWeb - then, when
I wanted to back it up, no info was on the webpage at all...

However, I later tried to save a "normal" program - untouched by
TivoWeb or me - and none of the info for that program was displayed,
either... so methinks monkeying with the header info thru TivoWeb
wasn't the culprit after all.

Anywho, anyone know how to get the FSID's for an "on the fly"
recorded program?

TIA,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger