[ExtractStream] Re: SplitStream 0.3 and other utils

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 07:47:05 -0700 (PDT)

--- cerevant@y... wrote:
> --- In ExtractStream@y..., Roger Merchberger <zmerch7@y...> wrote:
> > This looks *cool* - but I don't think TMPGenc can offset video --
> if
> > it can, I dunno how. I'm just a beginner at this video thing...
>
> Setting/Advanced/Source Range/Audio Gap Correct

Cool... I'd have probably found that myself in about 12 years or
so... ;-) Thanks for the pointer!

> > I have, however, gotten a "decent" looking SVCD from TMPGenc &
> > Nero -
>
> I've just about given up on SVCD - if there is any action at all
> the
> picture goes to hell. I've only gotten reasonable results using 2-
> pass VBR, and that takes at least twice as long as single pass
> (duh). VCD is a bit soft, but it is quick and better than anything
> have on VHS...and it doesn't confuse my DVD player :)

I'll have to try that, then... I've also wanted to try the higher
motion sensing things, but I don't have "unlimited" computer
access... TMPGenc doesn't run under Linux, and my Tivo won't get it's
program updates under Winders (Win2K wants to change my entire
network to 192.168.0.x class C, where I have 8 machines now mapped
into the 10.10.10.x class. I'm not changing *everything* over...) so
I can't just leave my computer in Winders forever...

Are there any *awesome* tools for making SVCD's under Linux? (I'm
running RedHat 7.2 on a Pentium 3 1G w/512Meg of RAM... but should be
upgrading to a dualie Athlon 1.5G w/a GigoRAMa soon. That should make
the CPU requirements drop substantially... :-)

> For burning VCDs & SVCDs, check out the VCDImager GUI:
>
> http://www.vcdhelp.com/vcdimagereasy.htm
>
> It has some strange quirks, but I'm very happy with the
> performance.
> It has some nice features: it will let you put chapters in a
> continuous video, for example.
>
> Jeff

For a 43-minute show, I really don't need chapters... (me wife wants
her Charmed "taped" on something better than VHS -- I want it
archived on something physically smaller and that will
(theoretically) last longer. And if I can sneak in a Farscape or
Enterprise along the way, I'll be happy... ;-)

The important thing I need to know is: Does VCDImager support
burn-proof? With my 16X Plextor burner, it's a necessity...

(that, and Nero seems to be able to fit more on a CD -- I dunno how
it does it, but it does. It fits 800 Meg on an 80-minute CD (which
would normally hold 700 Meg) I wonder if it fiddles with the
sectoring or something...

Anywho, thanks again for the pointers... and I'll have to test my DVD
player if it will read SVCD's from CD-RW -- if so, I'll buy a box of
ten and really do some testing when my box gets upgraded to the
dualie Athlons...

Roger "Merch" Merchberger