Splitstream and constant sequence issues

charlie@a... charlie at a...
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 08:37:51 -0000

> One thing I've been meaning to ask, and keep forgetting to: Is
there
> a reason you throw out entire chunks, instead of just bad records?
> If there was typically equal amounts of audio & video in a chunk, I
> could see how this would improve sync. However, it looks like one
> stream can break while the other keeps going.

You are correct about there usually being an unequal amount of audio
and video in a chunk. I think when ExtractStream gets the wrong
stream mixed into your stream it does it a whole chunk at a time.
I've never seen a chunk where some records were right and some were
wrong (and I have been looking), they're either all right or all
wrong. When I've looked at the timecodes before and after the
incorrect chunk they match up perfectly (in other words, the
incorrect chunk is inserted, not replacing a correct chunk). Now
there may be missing chunks too (not positive, but I think I saw some
indication of it once). If this is true, there isn't much we can do
about it after the video has been extracted, but it could cause A/V
sync problems.