TMPGenc/nandub Encoding settings (was: Audio offset due to "audio preload?"

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:15:53 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Barcinski, Andy" <andy@a...> wrote:
> Can you post a .vcf file? I am having a devil of a time getting
> small file
> sized with 2-pass DiVX/Nandub, even when I set up the options (I
> think) for
> a small file. I'm doing cartoons, and maybe that's why it's not
> working.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

>From my previous post, I mentioned that I was tinkering with nandub.
I mainly use it to find commercial breaks because TMPGenc is broken
so badly in that regard.

I actually haven't used nandub for rendering the mpeg yet -- it seems
more cryptic to use & I have no clue how the "chained filtering"
seems to work under nandub. I heard rumors that you can download
other filters for nandub, but I haven't figured it out yet -- haven't
put a lot of time there yet, either.

For the down-n-out encoding, I use TMPGenc - it seems to work decent
enough for quality on a show, and after the commercials are trimmed
it's usually between 710 - 750 Meg which easily fit on a SVCD with
good playback quality. I've made 3 so far without much heartburn
(other than render time).

Here's a blick of my encoding settings:

480x480 resolution (SVCD) - 32Kbit audio (My Apex DVD player plays
them just fine, despite their nonconformity)
2-pass VBR, 3400 max/2200 avg./300 min. no buffering
Motion search precision: high quality (slow)

Under the Advanced option: Filters checked: Deinterlace (double)
Clip frame: Clipping: 6-left, 2-top, 2-bottom
Source Range: If Joe's splitstream spits out a negative audio offset,
enter that here, but positive.

For a 1-hour show, it's a 10-12 hour render - for a 45-minute
Stargate from Showtime (no commercials) that I can specify start and
end render times, it takes roughly 6 hours.

Anyway, if you want to see what I use (well, so far) for TMPGenc,
download the mcf file here:

http://www.30below.com/~zmerch/tivo/worksdecent.mcf

When nandub get's a little easier to use for me, I may switch over
(as I can't find where to purchase the mpeg encoder for TMPGenc) but
for now I'm using what works...

HTH,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger