[ExtractStream] Sequence number bogus errors (FAQ?)

Christopher Kristof cakristof at y...
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 06:42:15 -0700 (PDT)

--- Josh Harding <theamigo42@y...> wrote:

> It's times like this that I wished I knew more about
> MPEG encoding...
> do the audio frames have time code? or atleast

No.

> sequence numbering?

No.

> Can they be directly correlated to video frames?

No.

> How does the TiVo get
> them to line up consistently?

Mpeg audio and video streams are multiplexed together
so that some number of mpeg audio frames appear
between some number of mpeg video frames. Since audio
and video frames are interleaved in mpeg program
streams their physical proximity to each other
provides the synchronization.

Whether or not the Tivo stores programs as multiplexed
mpeg audio/video streams according to the mpeg2 spec I
don't know. I'm new to this list and the Tivo.

Kristof