[ExtractStream] Where to get Convertstream for windows

Dale E. Reed Jr. daler at n...
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 16:52:51 -0700

> Dale, I am not sure if you are releasing it to anyone or not, but
> if you are, could you send me or tell me how to get the version of
> convertstream that you are using on win 32. I am interested in seeing
> what I can do with TMPGenc after I get the mpa and mpv streams in
> better quality. Right now using extractstream, my vid quality is sub
> par and I am wondering if the -s dump from extractstream and then
> using cnvertstream will fix this and allow me to see what TMPGenc can
> do with muxing.....

The quality of the video is based on the quality you recorded it at.
How you transfer it from you tivo shouldn't matter any or affect that.
One thing of note is that the quality of the recording determines the
size of the recording. So if you record in basic quality, you are going to
get a picture roughly 1/2 the size of normal TV (the video chip in the
TIVO re-sizes in on the fly when you watch it). So taking something
like a 352x240 picture and trying to watch it on a 1024x768 resolution
monitor is going to look pretty bad. I play mine back through my
PC-DVD hardware card back to my tv and the quality is just as
good as watching it from the tivo.

> I'd be happy to share any progress, etc with anyone on the board --
> I am just having a hard time finidng people who are willing to
> converse about this stuff - -- esp since it looks like the ptvupgrade
> site is down today.... Let me know please.

I'm no expert, but I'll try to help anyone that wants it. :) The main
challenge for most people is just getting a video/audio stream in sync.

Dale