UK 2.5.5 upgrade (Updated Info)

dattrax james at d...
Tue, 02 Apr 2002 23:16:18 -0000

All,

Well it looks like ExtractStream works (partly) to give the correct
output. I say partly as I have my Tivo configured for VBR encoding.
I managed to extract a file off from before the upgrade with no
problems, however, all new files have errors in them. To add some
correlation to this it looks like the lower the quality setting the
worse the errors.

Having looked through the code for extractstream I believe it assumes
fixed length headers and blocks etc. obviously this doesn't work
with VBR, so I've switch it off and set the quality back to 'Best' to
see if that makes any difference.

Other than that it looks like everyone in the US will get stuffed by
this one, when you go over to VBR encoding

Jim