got a TivoNet card from 9thtee.com need help with it?

willieb9000 willieb9000 at y...
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 12:28:35 -0000

Hey Kris,
I dont have a lot of time, but I am hopin gthis will get you started.
This is mainly in response to your ftp question. First go to
http://www.sonnik.com/tivo/download.asp and get the file called
tivoftpd. This is an ftp daemon for tivo. Save it to your computer. I
can't tell how far along you are in the process, but I am assuming
that you are using the tivo boot cd or the like when you hook your HD
to your computer.

If you are pinging and bashing, it looks like you are well on your
way, you can try to transfer tivoftpd through tera term, but I would
advise against if you still have your tivo cracked open. Mine still is
and I hacked it 8 months ago:).

1. Put your tivo hd in your computer and boot with boot cd or disk.
copy tivoftpd into your hack directory on your tivo drive. If you
don't have one you should make it using mkdir. Many people use
/var/hack and many use /hack/bin. plusses and minuses to either. After
you copy tivoftpd into that directory, you need to typr "chmod +x
tivoftpd" to make it executable.

2. Put the drive back in your tivo. Get an ftp prog from online (i use
download.com). I use smartftp -- works well. After booting
tivo, tera term in and go to the dir where you saved tivoftpd
and type "tivoftpd &" it will look like it does nothing. But
then you can close tera term and connect from your ftp prog using your
tivo's ip address. Using ftp you can transfer any files you need. Make
sure you do it in binary mode though and you always need to remember
to chmod files you want to be able to execute.

3. One more thing -- I can't tell form your post how far along you
are, but before you can alter anything on tivo (unless you are using
/var as your directory) you have to do a "mount -o rw remount /"
(somebody correct this if my memory is failing...) this allows you to
write to the drive. Make sure when you are done that you "mount -o ro
remount /" -- this sets the drive back to readonly which is like
having a safety on a gun -- nothing will get corrupted in this mode
becasue no files are writable -- readonly protects tivo's files during
sudden power losses (and is why you don;t have to "shutdown" tivo like
you do your computer).

Let me know what else you need and I will try to help. Unfortunately,
you are going to have to really search for a lot of the stuff
yourself. Everyone gets a thousand questions a day in the various
forums and people dont' like to answer questions that have been
answered before. The forum searches are great and all this stuff is
pretty well documented.

Hth,
Willie