[ExtractStream] Re: I have a 100% working split program for both SA and DTivo...

Daniel junior15 at m...
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 14:22:00 -0400

I would definitely like to try it. I've been using TivoApp, but would
love to try something else. Let me know where I can get it.

I've got a question for you. What method do you currently use to get
your streams into mpg format? I currently use TivoApp, then tyc, then
encode into divx. While this works, the quality is less than
spectacular and there are still audio pops in my mpgs. I would love to
try something new, but I would also like to keep it fairly simple. I
like the fact that I can set up TivoApp to extract multiple streams and
then come back later. I also have a script setup for tyc to do batch
conversions. I would like to keep with tools that allow me to do things
in bulk so I'm not spending all my time converting and encoding.

Thanks,
Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: jewser [mailto:joshua@b...]
Sent: Saturday, April 20, 2002 2:09 PM
To: ExtractStream@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [ExtractStream] Re: I have a 100% working split program for
both SA and DTivo...

--- In ExtractStream@y..., "David Ondzes" <dao@p...> wrote:
> I would love to help but I am having some trouble extracting
> tyStreams with TivoApp. I have a two recording at best quality
> (seasason premier of Alias) and when I try to extract it only grabs
> 2 out of the 6 parts. The html page that is generated from
> TivoApp list 6 parts and only the last 2 parts are extracted.
> Anyone having a similar problem ?

Ok. I also have a replacement I wrote for TivoApp. It is also not
finished yet. As I was working on it I realized that it was pointless
to work there until I got splitting truly working correctly and as of
about Jan 4th, that is where almost all of my efforts have been going.

No slight intended for Gary and his work on TivoApp. I just had
different goals in mind. I am programmer of the vein that says, why
use someone elses if I can write my own and be able to fix every
little detail and make it do whatever I want...

At present "my own" setup is a Tivo-Compiled server with a single
custom TCL file, based loosely on TivoWeb and TivoApp... The server
includes a forcing of the priority to the very lowest level. I have
successfully for the last 4 or 5 months been able to play 1 recorded
stream, record another, and extract all at the same time with no
skipping, hopping, or popping. (Basically all of this means you don't
need TivoWeb running, or TivoApp installed to extract using my
client, which means way less memory needed etc...)

Also my server is based around mfs_export rather than Extractstream.
When I say based around I mean it includes the code right in it with
no external calls. Which means less process space, less memory as a
result, etc...

I know that this might be sacrilegious here in this group but trust
me, after spending all of this time working over extract TyStreams I
can tell you without reservation that the current altered form of
mfs_export called mfs_stream (someone asked me to name it that)
returns a much much more accurate stream with fewer problems than
ExtractStream 0.3... I have not been following it and there might be
something new which is better. But since the mfs_stream I created is
about 30 seconds slower total on grabbing a 3.5gig Tystream I see no
reason to play with that part any further.

The client is a single window Dialog app, not an MDI interface. I
like those because the entire client with no needed external DLLs is
now 90k in size. (And yes I meant kilobyte not megabytes... :)

The client supports extraction with splitting and in raw TyStream
mode. (However the splitting in it is not my new stuff but an old
attempt...) It supports getting individual pieces of TyStreams based
on retrieved FSID's. I wrote it all originally because TivoApp just
would not be stable for me. Half of my streams would not come all the
way down without a crash. Anyway I had had enough so I put this
together in about a day and a half.

However as I said it is not done. There is at present no way to abort
a GET once it has been started. There is no way to pick from the list
AND do a partial get at the same time. It is however nicely
multithreaded and shows constant updates. I have also never had it
fail to get a full stream... The benefits I suppose of doing all of
the networking myself rather than using other tools etc...

While I am not looking for beta tester for this at the moment because
I know what works and what does not after all of this time, I would
be willing to put this up as well for people that would like to try
something else.

--jdiner