[ExtractStream] Proliferation of too many different apps...

Rob yahoo at i...
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 19:35:14 +0100

You have my vote on this.

I'm no stranger to poking about in data streams trying to make sense of
them, and I know some of the problems, and can't it be infuriating at
times.. I just havn't delved into the TiVo stuff myself yet, purely for
lack of available time. Maybe once the decorating is finished, the house
tidy, kids growm up ...

What I'd like to see before I did delve into it is some idea of where we're
up to in decoding the format of the streans.. Whilst I'm quite happy to
embrace the "I'll do it myself and be in control" mentality, I'm also very
fond of not re-inventing the wheel for the basic stuff, and that doesn't
mean simply hacking up or including other peoples source code, which might
or might not work correctly anyway.

Is there anywhere any form of definitive document on what everyone
understands to date the format of the streams to be?

If not, can we create one? Whilst I've not got the time for any serious
code hacking, I'm happy to donate web space, set up discussion boards, etc,
if it would help. I'm sure if everyone who is at present beavering away at
their own could work together, then it's be solved in no time.

Once we have a definite format, that's 100% correct, then I have no
objection to proliferation of apps, because they should all work, and it's
then that people can start working on nifty extra features, auto ad-break
omission, inclusion of subtitles(/closed captions) etc.. The problem at
the moment seems to be that everyone is trying to do their own extracting
and converting, resulting in loads of different bits of software, and I for
one never seem to know what will work for a given recording, and what won't.

Just my two penny's worth..

Rob.