divx and extractstream...so close and yet so far...

jewser joshua at b...
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 23:21:02 -0000

> I just don't split crap up anymore. They never re-sync properly

Too me that is just so weird. I processed 25-30 TyStreams this last
week in cleaning off my SA Tivo. (Just a standard phillips with 2
80gig drives running 2.5.1a...)

I did not have a single 1 that had any problems. Not one. Everything
has maintained sync.

Just to try and help here is my process:

1- I use mfs_stream, my own version available on DealDatabase, with
the priority-1 code.

2- I use a very heavily modified TCL script from Gary's TivoApp to
get the NowShowing list to get the FSIDs...

3- I use a custom network layer (these first 3 are now 1 program for
me...) to get it onto my PC as a single .ty file.

4- I run them all through vsplit11b with the following command line:

vsplit11b -s -j1 file.ty file.m2v file.m2a > file.txt

5- I then load the file.m2v into DVD2AVI version 1.76 and do a
STRAIGHT save as project. No cutting or pasting done here.

6- I then load the .d2v output from #5 into VFAPIConv and save as a
frame-served AVI.

7- I load the audio into WinAmp setup to save output as a wav file.

8- And finally I load the FS .avi file into VirtualDub and the wav.

9- My VDub configuration:

Video Filters:
De-Interlace - Drop field 1.
Brighten/contrast - bright +8.
null-transform - Crop 2 top, 2 bottom, 12 left, 4 right.

NOTE: This leaves the final result ok for playing on a PC which is
what I do but not arranged right for VCD etc...

Audio:
set audio interleaving to the inverse of the the amount reported by
vsplit. (I.e. if it says 17ms do a -17 in VDub and vice versa...)
Convert to 22,500hz.
Quality Conversion
Compression to MP3 using the mp3 that came with the old DivX
compressor.

Thats it. Right up to audio compression when the mp3 gets slightly
off it stays in perfect sync. I.e. if in VDub I do a source only play
you cans see a perfect match.

10- Load the resulting .avi into avifrate and set the frame rate to
29.972. Perfect sync in restored and the avi is done. (This step
takes 1/2 a second...)

Thats it. I have personally processed over a 100 1 hour ep's this way
with perfect sync in everyone.

--jdiner