[ExtractStream] convert to divx?

James R Grinter jrg at w...
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 14:37:14 +0100

On Monday, July 29, 2002, at 02:23 , DaveDenis wrote:
> little more there and figure this would be the best way. I realize I
> could do all the same steps but then just encode to Divx in Virtual
> Dub but I was hoping for something with less steps like going from .ty
> -> .mpg -> divx rather than splitting the file.

You can't really do it less steps, as far as I can see.

With reasonable success, I've been experimenting automating with the
following on a Solaris x86 system (and most of these steps, except 2,
are achieveable on my MacOSX system too. Linux would be easy too.):

1. Extract the .ty file with ExtractStream
2. Split the .ty file with J Diner's vsplit
(I'd love the source to this, rather than having to run the linux one in
emulation on Solaris x86!)
3. Multiplex back together with mjpeg's "mplex" tool, using the delay
value from vsplit.
4. Convert to a DivX (old style MPEG4+MP3 in an AVI file) with ffmpeg.

Obviously you need to have at least 2x the space of the original
TyStream file, as steps 1-3 aren't changing the amount of data you must
handle. Perhaps there would be some way of pipelining 2 and 3, maybe
even 4, but only if it's possible for vsplit to deduce the offset before
churning through all the data.

What I've not been able to do is replace step 4 with converting to a
multiplexed MPEG-1 for VCD. I always have synchronisation problems when
using ffmpeg to do that, before even trying to produce a VCD-compliant
MPEG-1 file.

I'm also looking for a good MPEG-2 capable visual editor, so that I can
edit manually the MPEG-2 file after step 3. I have come across one for
Windows (Honest Technologies' MPEG Editor), but as you might realise
from the above that's not my usual computing platform!

James.