Time to switch to a new list server

Marc MERLIN marc_yh at m...
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 12:28:46 -0700

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 12:04:04PM -0700, Michael Loftis wrote:
> I'd gladly host another list on my ListServ machine or switch to another
> place where the list will be hosted.

Ok, so there are more than a few who are, like me, tired of yahoo lists.

So, I've created a list here:

It's hosted under mailman 2.1 (it's not released yet, but I've been using it
since september of last year and already host other lists with it; it works
fine). Mailman 2.1 has many nice features over the current 2.0.x tree.
The list is also protected with a SpamAssassin front end.

Just as a little background, I used to be the admin for 20,000+ lists for
lists.sourceforge.net, so I have some clue about mail and mailing lists. I'm
also a mailman contributor.

The list doesn't have the evil reply-to munging enabled, however it has a
magic per-user option that makes sure you don't get a list copy if you were
Cced in the answer.

I called the list ExtractStream since
1) I couldn't find any magic name that conveyed everything topic on the list
2) that's the old name people are used to

If someone gives me full archives for the current list (mailbox format,
contact me directly), I can back-fill the archives
If someone gives me the current membership list for the yahoo list, I can
use mailman 2.1's invite feature where you will all get an Email, one URL to
click on (or you can confirm by mail) and you'll be on the new list.

I'm also willing to make a few of you be list moderators (approve posts from
non subscribers and adding them to the "ok to post" list).

Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/ | Finger marc_f@m... for PGP key