[Extractstream] Yahoo listings...

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 15:53:05 -0700

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 03:18:35PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > I checked out the Yahoo archives, and while it might be good to replicate
> > them to make sure they never go away, they're no good for harvesting email

The new yahoo2mbox works fine, I just finished porting the archives:
http://lists.merlins.org/archives/extractstream/

Let me know if you think I should make them viewable by subscribers only or
if we should let google crawl and index them.

>From what I can tell, yahoo2mbox inserted names from those who posted from
their yahoo address.
Other people have their Email and their named munged

If a  few of  you can send  me whatever  mbox archive you  have of  the list
(gzipped mime attachement  if at all possible), I'll put  that together with
the archives I have (very incomplete), and I'll re-run yahoo2mbox so that it
puts in the real names and Email  addresses for all the people who posted in
the archives that you sent me (and I have)

I can then also trivially invite them to the new list.

That said, I'm Ccing the yahoogroup list owner to see if he has a way to get
the list  of subscribers on  his side and  if he is  willing to send  a move
message to the list and close the yahoo list (i.e. disable posts) after most
to all the subscribers have been invited to the new list