[Extractstream] Yahoo listings...

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 15:18:35 -0700

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 06:07:00PM -0400, Roger Merchberger wrote:
> Well, dudez & dudettez...
>
> I checked out the Yahoo archives, and while it might be good to replicate
> them to make sure they never go away, they're no good for harvesting email
> addresses of us loyal Tivo fans as the addresses are munged, and it won't
> be easy, as it basically needs a web browser with cookie capabilities...
> telnetting to groups.yahoo.com port 80 & piping the output to a file
> doesn't look possible, unless there's someone out there smart enough to
> fake cookies in a telnet script... :-(

I've been through this before.

Someone actually wrote a fairly elaborate program to do this:
http://www.lpthe.jussieu.fr/~zeitlin/yahoo2mbox.html

I had problems with it last time I tried, but it looks like the author
put out an updated version.
I'm going to try it out and I'll keep you posted.

If the address unmangling actually works, I could generate a list of
subscribers.
We'll see...