Status on Splitstream compiling with cygwin...

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 21:37:09 -0800 (PST)

A while ago...
--- Mark Jeffcoat <jeffcoat@a...> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 09:12:57PM -0800, Roger Merchberger wrote:
> Have you thought about using gcc under Cygwin, instead?
> Then you could just build the cross-compiler as per usual,
> using the toolchain and gcc that Tivo distributes.

Otay - I stopped by work today & downloaded the whole shebang for
Cygwin - much easier on a 3Mbit line than a 44K (if I'm lucky...)
dial-up connection...

Installed without a hitch, and gotten some interesting numbers...

Size of SS from joe666boxer: 57,344 bytes
[[ I assume this was compiled with some form of MS C compiler... ]]
Size of SS compiled with djgpp: 98,492 bytes
[same as above, but stripped of debug info]: 60,416 bytes
Size of SS compiled with djgpp & -O2 switch: 96,444 bytes
[same as above, but stripped of debug info]: 58,368 bytes

I was thinking... Hmmm - pretty normal, djgpp prolly inserts a little
extra stuff in the headers or something... but watch this:

Size of SS compiled with cygwin gcc : 29,335 bytes
[same as above, but stripped of debug info]: 11,776 bytes

Size of SS compiled with djgpp & -O2 switch: 27,116 bytes
[same as above, but stripped of debug info]: 9,728 bytes

Whoa! Whaddya think of them apples??? 8-o

I'm testing on a 600Meg fragment of a show (too impatient to wait for
the whole thing to download) and this is what happens:

Splitting the chunk with the cygwin-compiled splitstream (I called it
css.exe) worked fine. No difference that I can see.

Splitting the chunk with the cygwin-compiled SS with the -O2
optimization switch: Seemed to work fine, but there was an extra bit
of output, which I don't think affected the streams but might worry a
beginner. Here's what the output looked like:

estimated audio delay from first video -95.422222 ms
estimated audio delay from earliest video -28.677778 ms
Warning: found even earlier Video frame, add 0.000000 to min audio
delay chunk 0
last audio time 00:26:36.672 last video time 00:26:36.776

The "even earlier Video frame" might throw someone, and as the
proggie is rather hard-drive intensive, I doubt that you'd see a
speed improvement with the ever-so-slightly smaller proggie.

So... Does anyone have a "setting up Cygwin gcc to cross-compile Tivo
proggies for Dummies" webpage? ;-)
Just thought I'd let y'all know of my progress...
Roger "Merch" Merchberger