DVD writing

Faye Pearson faye at c...
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 15:52:11 +0000

"billyb111b" <billyb111b@y...> wrote:
> I have done some DVD writing from my extracted videos, so it IS
> possible, so far its a difficult process with mixed results.

I too have done this (once) and also found it difficult and time
consuming but successful.

> I have a Pioneer A03 burner, which is a great and burns DVD-R and -
> RW, -RW works fine, but none of my 5 DVD players play the stuff, so
> its not that practical. I recently found a great deal on cheap DVD-
> R ($1.50 a piece) so I have been experimenting more often.

I'm using the same burner. I have problems reading some cheap media in
my DVD player but most media reads just fine in my set top DVD.

I have a Pioneer 343 player which I chose for its ability to play just
about any (S)VCD and also CD-R/-RW and DVD-R/-RW.

> The problem with DVD in general is authoring software is very picky
> about being within the spec (unlike VCD/SVCD), which means video res
> of 352 or 704/720 and audio at 48 khz. Tivo records all audio and
> 32 khz, so all tivo audio needs to be upconverted. Video (by
> default) is 544(x480) at Best 480 at high and 352 at med and basic.
> So anything at a quality bitrate needs to be trancoded to the proper
> res. (You can change the default bitrates and resolution in the
> TivoWeb resource editor, allowing for high bitrate and 352x480,
> reducing the need for transcoding).

It's extremely picky. I used several tools including TMPEGEnc to
sanitize the MPEG2 stream from the TiVo, crop, resize and create
proper GOP headers.

Then I authored using My DVD.

The resulting disc plays fine in my settop dvd player and in Power/Win
DVD. My other DVD player a Toshiba 2109 won't play any writable media
at all and has been relegated to the bedroom.

> I can give more detail into my DVD process if you'd like, (Ive been
> meaning to write up a little doc on it, but havnt had the time)

I know that feeling.

Faye

--
Faye Pearson,
Software Development Manager,

Don't you wish you had more energy... or less ambition?