[ExtractStream] Java or Perl for TiVo?

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 23:41:33 -0800 (PST)

--- john_pappas <bunt643@h...> wrote:
> I haven't had time to read all 1000+ messages here, so please
> forgive
> me if this has been answered and I missed it.
>
> Has anyone successfully got a JVM compiled for and running on the
> TiVo? I'm a budding Java programmer and would like to focus my
> work
> on tools for the TiVo. Perl would be another killer thing to have.

I would doubt that a JVM currently exists for the Tivo - but if
you're looking to use what you know for the Tivo, your best bet
(short-term, anyway) prolly would be to take what you know in Java,
augment that with C, and use C to cross-compile your apps into native
Tivo code.

SA (Stand-Alone) tivos (as in, not a DirecTivo) use a 53Mhz embedded
PPC as it's host processor, and 16Meg RAM - a JVM or a Perl
interpreter could be rather resource-intensive...

[[ and yes, I've run perl 4.0.36 on an Atari 1040STF - on a slower
box, it ain't 'zactly speedy... ;-) ]]

That, and there is certain system information which is easily
available thru TCL (which is built-in to it's /bin/sh) which would be
rather difficult to extract using C, or any other platform for that
matter. AFAIK, the king of Tivo knowledge would be Tridge, the guy
who wrote Samba. Various bits of C code for accessing MFS data &
whatnot can be found here:

http://www.samba.org/ftp/unpacked/tivo/vplay/

> I've got books, but I just don't have the time to learn TCL right
> now.

Lordy, do I know that feelin'!!! HTH,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger