Extraction from a "netless " Sony DirecTiVo SAT60

pokemonrdobh pokemonrdobh at y...
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 06:40:06 -0000

--- In ExtractStream@y..., David <redmr2@h...> wrote:
> How are you running ppp/ftp on a DirecTivo? Do you have a network
board?
> My Sony DirecTivo doesn't have any sort of serial port on it .. so
I can't
> even do that.

I was just at a friends place and he has a sony unit. Th serial port
doesn't look like such, look for the port labled ir, it looks much
like a mini-stereo jack, there should be to jacks like this one above
the other about middle of the back pannel. the top one of these two
might be labeled serial, but in any case the one that isn't labeled
ir is ttyS3, (this is linux for 3rd serial port)

You'll need look at the tivo faq web site and find the info on bash
prompt. Follow the instructions. It's to long to explain here.

> Are you running the modified extractstream on the Tivo itself or on
PC Linux?

> I haven't managed to get ANY programs working on the PC Linux side
to even
> strat
> to extract a stream. Not even Tridge's mfs_extract works.
>

> At 12:35 AM 2/8/2002 +0000, you wrote:
> >I have a DirecTivo and I've used the fixed extractstream for
> >DirecTivo's you might beable to search for it in the
> >www.dealdatabase.com forms under Direct Tivo and tystream. In any
> >case I have a 60gb drive and I keep 20gb as ext2 space for my self
> >and the 40gb for tivo. I extract out to my 20gb space and then I
have
> >ppp running on tivo and connect to linux host I have. I'm using ftp
> >for the file transfer. You can search the net on ppp there are
> >several how-to's for tivo ppp. You can alternatly just remove the
> >drive and mount it on a pc with linux and copy off the data from
the
> >ext2 partition.
> >
> >--- In ExtractStream@y..., Roger Merchberger <zmerch7@y...> wrote:

> >really
which
> >successfully
> > >
> > > This was just posted a few days ago to the list: it's a
different
> > > type of TivoNet board which doesn't require a separate ISA
ethernet
> > > card. You just plug it onto the "PCI-like" port, and plug in an
> > > ethernet cable... you're done. No extenders or anything for the
> > > directivos... (and a little cheaper than the TivoNet, too, IIRC)
> > > Check here:
> > >

> > <http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?
>http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?
> >s=&threadid=42750

> >Linux
> >hda10.
> > >
> > > Hoo-doogie - you're way ahead of me then... I've just started
into
> > > C/C++ programming (again... long story) and tried to get the
Tivo
> > > bintools to compile under Cygwin for Win2K... no dice. :-(
> > >
> > > I'll give it a go on my wife's computer next (it's *only*
linux)...
> > > there's always telnet. ;-)

> > > Aren't we all??? :-)
> > >
> > > Roger "Merch" Merchberger

> > > Send FREE Valentine eCards with Yahoo! Greetings!
> > > <http://greetings.yahoo.com>http://greetings.yahoo.com
> >

> >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>
><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=221000.1882886.3380087.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1
708568770:HM/A=965713/R=0/O=1/I=brandr-promo-flowersale-
lrecg/*http://shopping.yahoo.com/promotions/flowers/index.html>f8fa8.j
pg