[ExtractStream] Random SplitStream Thoughts...

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 14:31:30 -0800 (PST)

--- Don Starr <don@s...> wrote:
> > Yea, but remember: This *is* Bill Gates we're talking about...
> >
> > And at least in Dos-mode-based programs, I don't think they can
> > allocate swap space... but I can't test that as I don't have a
> > computer with "little" enough RAM to find out, it seems...
>
> If it's a Win32 "command-line" app, it's not really
> "Dos-mode-based" - it's
> a real Windows app that just doesn't have a main window associated
> with it.
> If you do dynamic memory allocation (malloc(), new, etc.) and that
> allocation requires the OS to swap, it will swap.

Okay - is there a way to access malloc() or another allocation
function that will return a NULL pointer if it would require to go to
swap?

(granted, I'm only allocating 12.8Meg - but it the user is low on
RAM, it'd be nice that the application didn't start swapping &
flopping...) - and it would be useful to know in case I needed to
create programs with possibly higher memory needs...

Thanks,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger