[ExtractStream] Random SplitStream Thoughts...

Josh Harding theamigo42 at y...
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 16:56:14 -0800 (PST)

--- Roger Merchberger <zmerch7@y...> wrote:
> Boy - now doesn't that *just* *plain* *suck*. You'd think there could
> be an environment variable that'd give installed memory & amount
> used, or somesuch...

That wouldn't really be very helpful. Say you check and find that the
system has 16M of real RAM free. You malloc() all 16M. Then, 6
microseconds later, another program malloc()s 8M. Something's going to
swap.

I'm still a little confused as to why everyone splits a tyStream into
separate a/v files and then merges them back. It seems to only
introduce sync problems. Granted, I've only done a couple shows, but
using TyConvert (on Win32) seems to work well for me... just need to
use PowerDVD to watch.

=====
--The Amigo