DVD writing

Faye Pearson faye at c...
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:52:24 +0000

> I have had success transferring Tivo video to DVD+RW using an HP
> dvd100i/j. However success will depend on a good many factors.
> First, I would try to find someone who has the type of Burner you
> are interested in buying and have them create a generic DVD for you
> to test in your DVD standalone players.
>
> Second is the software you use with your burner. I have used
> numerous packages , DVDIt PE, MYDVD (came with the hp burner),
> ReelDVD, and Scenarist.

Perhaps more important is how you get the sound and video into DVDable
format in the first place... or does Reel sort that out itself from
SplitStream (or equivalent) m2v and m2a?

> In case anybody has been keeping up on DVD+RW and all of the other
> standards, I have found DVD+RW to be pretty compatible however the
> even more (supposedly) compatible DVD+R, the record only half of
> DVD+RW (and cheaper!) may not be a workable solution in the first
> Generation DVD+RW drives. Which makes me mad since everything I read
> inferred that company's were going to provide compatibility in a
> firmware upgrade. Oh well, they don't call it bleeding edge for
> nothing.

I'm intrigued - why did you choose +RW over -R/RW? The only thing I can
think of is that +RW media can be read in many -ROM drives... but
-R media can too and the number of times I've used RW media can be
counted on the fingers of one hand (and have a few fingers spare).
RW is great for experimentation so that you don't waste Rs but
compatibility doesn't really matter there as you generally use the
same drive to read and write.

Cheaper -R was definitely a motivation for me in getting the A03.
I guess if you don't archive a lot of shows then that's not
really a problem.

Faye

--
Faye Pearson,