[ExtractStream] Newbie alert - be gentle with me :)

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 08:47:54 -0800 (PST)

--- derekr1232000 <derekr@b...> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm a total newbie who's dipping his toe in the water of video
> extraction from my TiVo. I've just ordered a TiVoNet card from 9th
> Tee and I'm wondering about how to connect it up to my PC when it
> arrives. At the moment I have a 10/100 network card with 1 RJ45
> socket (connected to my cable modem) and 1 free BNC type socket.
> Can
> I fit a similar card in my TiVo and connect the BNCs together? Or
> do
> I have to use RJ45? (which I assume will mean buying a hub of some
> sort).

AFAIK, and I checked with a buddy as well, and the consensus is that
most (if not all) network cards can't use the BNC port & the RJ-45
port at the same time. Even if there were a few that could, I'd
wonder if the card could supply enough power to keep both interfaces
running at the same time...

I don't know what the cost of hubs are in the UK, but here in
Yankeedom they're pretty cheap (US$40 or so for a 4-port) - D-Link
makes a fairly decent (a.k.a. - they usually work) cheap hub.

I realize that after the investment in TivoNet, an extra expense
might look daunting, but I'd really recommend getting the hub.

HTH,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger