[ExtractStream] Newbie alert - be gentle with me :)

Edmond E. Shwayri eshwayri at n...
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:31:40 -0500

You most probably (99.99%) cannot use the same card for both the cable
modem and the Tivo. You have several options :

[1] Buy a second network card for your PC and then connect the Tivo-PC link
on that card. Depending on the interfaces of both cards you would either
use a coax cable + 2 terminators or a cross-over RJ-45 cable. The latter
being the easiest. You would also need to run some sort of firewall/NAT
software to allow the TiVo to go through the PC to get to the Net. If you
ever wanted more connections like a second computer then you would also
need a hub. You would then connect the Tivo->Hub and PC->Hub (most
probably using RJ-45; however, there are some hubs that have a coax
link). For your sanity stick to the RJ-45 if at all possible. If I
remember correctly the 9th tee cards are RJ-45 only, so my guess is you
won't even have to consider the coax option.

[2] Buy one of those DLS/cable routers. For example Linksys makes several
models (http://www.linksys.com/Products/group.asp?grid=23). I haven't
tried any of these, so I cannot tell you how good/bad they are. The most
critical feature you will need though is the ability to block incoming
connect attempts to the TiVo since the TiVo has no security. The Linksys
models look like they do this. With one of these routers the way you would
connect everything is cable modem -> router, PC -> router, and TiVo ->
Router (Ie- everyone connects to router and router is the only one that
connect to the InterNet and cable modem).

[3] Setup second PC using old 386/486. Many of us have one in the attic
somewhere. Equip with 2 EtherNet cards and then setup Linux to act as
firewall. Only recomended if you know what you are doing.