[ExtractStream] ppp extraction

Grant Stockly grant at s...
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 22:04:16 -0900

At 12:52 AM 2/25/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> Hey, I am nervous about cracking open my tivo and voiding my warranty
>(especially because my DSR6000 might have a problem) So I was wondering if it
>is possible to do video extraction from a PPP (obviously a lot slower) then I
>could get a taste of it before I take the big plunge.
> Also, where do I find good, clear documentation on this? I seem to find
>info on getting a bash prompted, but don't I have to create some kind of
>special cable for the connection first?

A 30 minute High Quality extract on a SA tivo would take ~17.5 hours to
extract. Can windows last that long? : )

When I have a bunch of shows to get, I plug in a second non-mfs drive and
extract to it (hey, I'm lazy [mke2fs /dev/hdb] : ) ).

Mounts fine on my Mandrake 7.1 box (current i486 release, aka broken ftp
and compiler) as long as pass hdc=bswap at lilo. Still havn't put it in my
lilo.conf. I haven't tried mounting the drive on my main NetBSD box since
I don't know if it has a bswap kernel option...and I don't want to ruin my
uptime. : )

I'm not sure if extraction instructions are the same for a dtv recorder...
http://www.digitalregime.com/tivo2svcd/
http://www.tworoads.net/~srp/tivo/index.html
http://salfter.dyndns.org/tivo2svcd.shtml
http://www.keegan.org/jeff/tivo/tivoweb.html