[ExtractStream] ppp extraction

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 09:36:56 -0800 (PST)

--- ThePith1@a... wrote:
> Hey, I am nervous about cracking open my tivo and voiding my
> warranty
> (especially because my DSR6000 might have a problem) So I was
> wondering if it
> is possible to do video extraction from a PPP (obviously a lot
> slower) then I
> could get a taste of it before I take the big plunge.

I get fed up with 10Mb/s download times (~~20 minutes)... methinks a
20-hour (approx.) extract time would drive you to the looney-bin in
short order...

WRT your tivo having a problem: get it taken care of first -
nothing's worse than trying to hack dodgy hardware and wondering
where it all went wrong... If you try video extraction on a tivo that
might have a problem, you'll never know if it was your methods or the
tivo itself if you were unsuccessful.

> Also, where do I find good, clear documentation on this? I
> seem to find
> info on getting a bash prompted, but don't I have to create some
> kind of
> special cable for the connection first?

There's dox out there, but I'm not sure if you can get a bash prompt
anymore from the new software (mine's been cracked since OS version
1.3)... you may have to crack your case regardless, just to modify
your rc.init script for the first time to get the bash prompt on the
serial port.

If you're uncomfortable playing around inside hardware that can be
dangerous, *just don't do it*. Otherwise, if your just afraid of
voiding the warranty, wait 3 months - there's only a 90-day warranty
on the units anyway.
You don't need a special cable - a mini-stereo jack -> 9-pin adapter
should have come with your tivo. Depending on the PC you wish to use
with your tivo for the PPP connection, you'll need gender-benders,
and/or maybe a null-modem adapter, available at your local computer
store or Radio Shack. No cable building necessary.

HTH,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger