[ExtractStream] Lip Sync with mplex and netmplex

David Gerdes dpgerdes at r...
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:23:05 -0600 (CST)

You can already do this if you edit on Linux or have unix tools on Windows

A chunk is 131072 bytes. you can use the 'dd' command to pull out any
chunks you want. to cut off the first and last 200 chunks from a
100,000 chunk file, use the command:

dd if=stream.ty of=edited.ty bs=131072 skip=200 count=99600

The stream becomes less compatible than it already was, but I was
successful using this method to remove just enough to fit a 100 minute
movie onto two SVCDs.

Also note that it is much cleaner to crop at Groups of Pictures rather
than chunks, thus keeping audio and video pieces together.

This can give you very coarse control, enough to trim at beginning and
end, but if you want to edit commercials, long term, I would go with a
group of pictures editting tool rather than chunk based.