[ExtractStream] Lip Sync with mplex and netmplex

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:51:09 -0800 (PST)

--- David Gerdes <dpgerdes@r...> wrote:

[[ good dd info snipped ]]

> The stream becomes less compatible than it already was, but I was
> successful using this method to remove just enough to fit a 100
> minute
> movie onto two SVCDs.
>
> Also note that it is much cleaner to crop at Groups of Pictures
> rather
> than chunks, thus keeping audio and video pieces together.

Remember way, way, *way* back in the ancient days of computerdom,
when computer companies actually gave you a memory map showing you
where all your ROM/RAM/System RAM, etc. was? (Like Tandys, Ataris,
Commies, etc?)

Is there anything like that for MPEG[2]? Something that shows header
info, what comprises a GOP, things like that? I found the MPEG
specifications (like white papers) and it was *awfully* dry
reading...

I'd like to learn more about MPEG, but there's no "MPEG for Dummies"
webpages out there... [no, I'm not 'zactly a dummy, but I am awfully
new to this whole "video" thing...]

If enough people can get me enough pointers for enough info, I'll
make the MPEG for Dummies page as I'm learning...

> Stealth Dave wrote:
> >
> > That's an interesting way to get a very cheap editing tool. I
> like it!
> > A suggestion though? In addition to being able to drop 'x'
> number of
> > chunks off the front, how about being able to specify only 'y'
> number of
> > chunks be processed as well? i.e., throw away the first 80
> chunks and
> > save only the next 300, etc. That would allow one to process a
> small
> > subset of chunks at a time.
> >
> > Be forewarned that this may not produce a viable mpeg stream.
> MPEG2
> > especially is very picky about how it is chopped up.

That wouldn't be too hard to implement, so I'll prolly throw that in
for good measure...

However, when I learn more about MPEG, I want to integrate an
"auto-sync" function into splitstream, that will take the audio
offset, and automagically drop off the correct # of video or audio
frames to sync up the streams... but I'm not quite that "deep" into
the code yet...
Thanks for the suggestions!
Roger "Merch" Merchberger