[ExtractStream] Transferring files

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 19:47:56 -0800 (PST)

--- Michael Patterson <mpatterson@a...> wrote:

> So, i'm trying to mount a network drive on 2.5.1. ANY drive from
> either my
> linux or windows box. I've tried both smbmount and nfs mounting.
> Nothing
> happens if I use smbmount. I don't even get a prompt back (it does
> ask me
> for my passowrd if I dont' use -n, though)

Hmmmm... why? If you're just using extractstream/sendstream, it's
much easier to use netcat - no mounting required, and much faster.

I've found smbmount to be fraught with bugs - the kind of bugs when
Uncle Bill changes the SMB standard - often. It is his protocol (and
a closed one at that) after all.

To use NFS mount, you'll need a *nix box with an NFS server set up,
and you'll need to insmod the nfs module - use the '-f' switch if
it's compiled for an older kernel.

Most folks get 3Mbit/300KByte per second thruput with NFS - I was
lucky and could get between 5-7Mbit - with netcat you can pretty much
"fill the pipe" getting between 9.5 and 10 Mbit/second.

> NFS gives me the error: "mount: RPC: Program Not Registered"
> (portmap not
> running? How do I do that in TIVO?)

Is the NFS module loaded in the Tivo? Do you have an NFS share set up
on the *nix box?

I just made a page about xferring video to a Win2K box & transcoding
programs for SVCD - it's Uuuuugly, but it's Version 0.0.0.0.1 - I
just wrote it today. Check it out:

http://www.30below.com/~zmerch/tivo/index.cfm

Lemme know what you think!
Happy incr(Year),