Transferring files

rudolphadam rudolphadam at y...
Sat, 05 Jan 2002 23:10:51 -0000

I have had a little success in using smbmount, as long as it's to the
WinME buggy box (keeping it that way because of the Pinnacle DC10+
capture card that they refuse to write a NT/XP driver for...)

On the WinME box there is a directory shared called TIVO with a full
access password on it: "full"

On the TiVO...
insmod -f /var/hack/modules/smbfs-2.0.1.o
smbmount //WINME/TIVO /mnt -I 192.168.1.1 -D WORKGROUP -U TIVO -P full

You'll get an error loading the module (wrong version) which you can
ignore. You'll also get an mtab error with smbmount if you are
mounted to your main partition as read-only. You can ignore that
too. Obviously replace your IP & workgroup names with your specific
values.

Mind you, I agree with Roger that the bandwidth issue is a big one.
There is only one reason I be using the smb, and that's to pipe video
to the TiVo from the PC. The bandwidth of smb is fine for doing (S)
VCD bitrate to the TiVo... haven't tried anything meatier.

Roger...
Nice job on the 0.0.0.0.1 version of your site. Very informative. I
am doing an almost identical procedure as you have laid down.

Two questions....
Since you are using the source range filter in TMPGEnc anyway, why
are you doing steps 8 & 9? The source range filter works really well
for finding the commercial break points. Hasn't failed me in over 20
Red Dwarf conversions.

Why are you using 2-pass VBR? Haven't we determined that VBR saves
disc space, hence lower quality (in TiVo 2.5.1 at least)? Using a
formula you can figure out exactly what video bitrate to encode at to
perfectly fill a CDR. For anywhere from 38 to 62 minutes of video, I
can fill a CDR with SVCD data up to 79:54~79:56. Seems to me that's
the best use of space/quality ratio. Besides, it takes less time to
encode.

Here's a link to a bitrate calculator I wrote specifically for the
TiVostreams (oh, and DVDs too).
http://www.geocities.com/rudolphadam/SVCDCalc.zip
Source available upon request...

Basically, you punch in the number of frames that you wish to encode
(or minutes) for either LSX or TMPGEnc. Tell it the CDR size, the
audio rate, the frame rate, and whammo... the CBR value to magically
fill the disc to the brim. For doing a show w/commercials, you'll
have to get the frame counts of all the parts, add 'em up, and plug
it into the formula. Then you go back & modify the CBR rate in the
stored projects of all the parts (easily done from the batch encoder).

Personally I have found XP faster for video encoding than 2000 on my
wimpy single Athlon 1400. About 15% faster. Faster than ME too and
MUCH more stable. I can transcode an Enterprise length show in just
about 2 hours. I'd love to hear how long it takes your blazing fast
machine to do the same at CBR. It must fly. You should try it for a
side-by-side at least. I would bet that CBR looks better, especially
for motion, and converts in 30% less time.

Good luck!