SVCD Experiments...

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 22:44:30 -0800 (PST)

Well, I had a chance to run an experiment trying to make a 23.976fps
SVCD yesterday, and... well... it did play better than my 25fps SVCD
- but not by much. It actually played in color (as opposed to
greyscale for the latter) but it was still quite herky-jerky & had an
occasional audio glitch as my DVD player (an Apex 500-W) tried to
keep up with the *seriously* out-of-spec SVCD stream.

Oh well.

I've also been doing a lot of looking, and am I right in seeing that
the maximum bitrate for an SVCD is either:

1) 2474 kbps, /* SVCD BitRate Calculator */
2) 2496 kbps, /* VCD calculator at vcdhelp.com */ or
3) 2600 kbps /* SVCD spec page at vcdhelp.com */

So if the maximum bitrate that I can get for a trimmed 1-hour show in
CBR is 2410 kbps, if I'm bumping so close to the max. allowable
bitrate, VBR really won't yield much better image quality, right?

It also looks like VCD doesn't have any real advantages over SVCD due
to it's MPEG1 limitations - from what I can see (so far, this isn't
tested or anything) even tho VCD has a lower resolution & bitrate, it
can't store much more video per CD as MPEG2 has a better compression
algorithm, or is that true?

Just questions as I continue to learn more about this stuff...
Thanks!
Roger "Merch" Merchberger