[ExtractStream] Editing MPEG2 streams

Roger Merchberger zmerch7 at y...
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 15:17:55 -0800 (PST)

--- Michael Patterson <mpatterson@a...> wrote:

> I finally got a good, solid MPEG2 copy of the program I wanted,
> using
> "tivoapp" to dump to a tystream, and then "tyconvert" to convert
> the
> resulting stream (and hacking off the first three chunks, for
> anyone who is
> trying this).

Cool.

> So now I went to edit it, and --suprise-- no good way to edit it.
> I've seen
> many posts on how to convert to AVI, edit, then make an MPEG1
> stream for
> VCD, but I want to keep the final copy as MPEG2 (for DVD writing).

I burn to SVCD - which is MPEG2, but a lower resolution / bitrate
than DVD... some of my instructions might help you on your quest...

> Anyone have any ideas? I've tried DVD2AVI, and I end up with a
> strange
> interlacing problem. And even if I did convert to AVI, I have no
> clue how
> I'd go back to MPEG2.

See my webpage -
http://www.30below.com/~zmerch/tivo/index.cfm

TMPGenc works pretty good for editing an MPEG2 stream, as long as you
do it frame by frame. I transcode into a bitrate low enough for SVCD,
so YMMV - the Cut & Merge function of TMPGenc is rather buggy,
however.

If you're looking into coding into DivX, NanDub is prolly your best
option.

HTH,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger